Small freighter [crazyjayloc2003]

Currently I need a new ship, a small freighter with resemblance to the YT-series, though pretty different in it's shape.
I had found something I really liked, but the artist didn't like to have me use it, so maybe someone can pull off something similar without being a mere copy.
I call it the O-192 freighter, produced by the Omegon Shipyards - a small but rich company in the outer rim with an exclusive clientele.

Basically it is a freighter for luxury goods with a cargo hold of about 45 metric tons and a length of about 20 meters.
As such, it naturally is a favored target of pirates and other criminals, so it needs three qualities: speed, maneuverability and decent firepower for a ship of its size(like 2 sidewise laser turrets, 2 forward laser guns and 1 or 2 automatic guns on underneath).
It's interiors are pretty luxurious for a ship of its size and purpose. Besides the 2 single bedrooms and 4 double bedrooms, it has got a comfortable lounge area, two cells for prisoners(as not all luxury-merchants want to have blood on their hands) and even a cargo hold equipped for holding animals.

My character Rane Skye owns one of these ships, called either the obsidian/slate talon or obsidian/slate tusk(depends on the design and bases on the color of his personal ship(obsidian-black or slate-gray).

crazyjayloc2003

hi! my favorite! a new ship. i have been creating YT style freighters for a while now and this is pretty cool.

im going to post some things for you to give an idea of what 45 metric tons cargo capacity looks like and what i came up with.

http://www.orb-airport.se/upload/Flygplatsen/Bilder/Bildarkiv/Fraktflyg…

thats about the size of a 45 metric ton cargo capacity. so small freighter is probably not the best thing to do that if you want speed and maneuverability. so i based this design loosely off of the barloz freighter with a few minor adjustments for aesthetic reasoning. like the association with the name "tusk" or "talon" (though i think tusk would serve it better because of the size.) anyway heres the concept of the O-192. its not too big because that would limit maneuverability, and the weight is evenly distributed in its design, which makes the interior easier to use for what you described. the engines no doubt will have to be heavily modified, possibly even replaced by a higher class than what is usually on the freighter to give it massive thrust to speed ratio. and theres an observation deck about mid stern.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t160/crazyjayloc2003/hidden/O-192_co…

Ryavar Darek

The 45 metric tons were just a guess of me after considering the data of the Millenium Falcon, which had a capacity of 100 metric tons and was just 7 meters longer but broader.
I like the concept, besides it's too broad for my personal taste and the YT-style cockpit in the middle of the "tusks" kinda looks out of place IMO.
Feel free to lower the capacity down to 30 or even 20 tons, as long as the ship becomes more slender.

I hope you don't think I'm ungrateful because of my feedback - I really appreciate your work.

crazyjayloc2003

actually thats great, and i agree with your suggestions. i was just cautioning that 45 metric tons and the bedroom space needed would probably bulk it up a bit, and i was never really in agreement with a lot of the star wars specs for ships because some of them are pretty fanciful. the millenium falcon probably couldnt really hold 45 metric tons unless spice was crammed into every little corner. and thats even stretching it a bit.

Evan Black

Y'know, I'd always imagined the "metric tonnage" of a starship's cargo space was more representative of the amount of weight the engines and repulsors could handle, and not necessarily a description of the actual amount of space on the ship.

I usually ignore that stat any way...

crazyjayloc2003

good point, and besides we are not mathematicians or physicists, just simple fans trying to have a little fun, i appreciate the observation evan.

crazyjayloc2003

ok RD, i did like you asked and slimmed it down a bit, i also redesigned the cockpit, i tried to make sure this was not an exact copy of the ship you like, hopefully it passes for something proto corellian, or fits your needs a bit more

heres the pic.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t160/crazyjayloc2003/hidden/O-192_co…

i can change just about anything on it, but the cockpit looks a bit more agressive if i narrow it, so i may render it like that and show the difference if you prefer a narrower cockpit. sorry it took so long to get back, i have my hands full sort of, but i do try to make good on my promises in a timely manner.

Ryavar Darek

First of all: Thanks you.
It really looks great now in my opinion.

If you feel like changing something feel free to do so - I think you know very well what might fit in or not.

Ryavar Darek

I can't find a word to express my gratitude.
This is simply an awesome design and exactly what I had in mind.
It's worth to wait for any progress you are doing - so take your time.

crazyjayloc2003

yes, i found out that my max is crashing cause of a plugin i was using to generate the lighting, so i have eliminated the lights and got rid of some bad polys to help the problem. im not sure how to move this to the claimed requests, but this and a few others should be moved. i think thats up to the admins though.

Hisham

Also, crazyjayloc, you're welcome to use the blog features to showcase your process to developing the final artwork. You'll have a much better display for them as opposed to just linking the development artwork from Photobucket.

Don't be shy in declaring your claim. Evan or I are here to move claimed threads into an appropriate forum. Fantastic job, btw.

:-)

Evan Black

Exactly what he said. All you need to do to move a request into the claimed group is to unequivocally announce that you are claiming it.

crazyjayloc2003

almost done, maybe i can do the blog for another project. and as far as claiming it goes, i think that was covered in previous posts on the topic and the thanks received from the requestor.(???)

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t160/crazyjayloc2003/hidden/0192_upd…

next is texturing

Lord Crumb

Do you have any stats for this fast looking ship. She'll definetly look good when she is textured.

-LC

Ryavar Darek

Since my group is still kept on ground(they somehow have a talent for droping one clanger after the other...) I don't have the stats yet - an unnecessary detail at the moment.

I'm sure the textures will look awesome - but even without the ship looks great.

Xanamiar

I hate to do this, since so much work has been done on it, but due to Absense of Artist, this one is being moved back to request.. ((Note: this does not stop the artist who took it from taking it again, if they return and want to complete the request.))

Edit: I put this in the finished because much of the model was done. the textures were not, but the model was..

I didn't want to get rid of crazyjayloc2003's work by deleting this.

Drig

I would be willing to put some Photoshoped textures on there if jayloc wouldn't mind and if Ryavar Darek wouldn't mind. All credit to crazyjayloc for the amazing model!

Seghast

Not sure if either of them are around to give you their blessing, Drig.

I say go for it; it's way too nice a model to leave all plain and untextured. Hell, it feels like a crime to see something so close to completion abandoned for over two years!

________
Links removed because the spam filter apparently doesn't like me, but I shall have vengeance. And maybe beer. Beer and vengeance.

Xanamiar

I agree that it's a shame to leave the model without texturing.

and Seghast is right, I haven't seen either of them around lately.

If you want to do it, I imagine that neither would have a problem with it. May try to pm them first and see if you get a reply.