KOTOR Era Bounty Hunting Ship [crazyjayloc2003]

The gist of this is that the ship is called the Statistical Anomaly, and is owned by a droid bounty hunter. Because the droid's a machine, it is able to push the ship far past its safety limits and has completely overhauled it, wiring it up to within an inch of its orginal specs.

The ship is a heavily modified light freighter, in the way that the Millennium Falcon or the Ebon Hawk is. Even for the era it's an old model, being probably close to 700 years old, and as such I'd like its look to reflect its age, being produced over 4500 years before the movies. Originally I envisioned it as rather disk-like, with a topside cockpit, but now I think I'd like to see it having a centerset cockpit for a single large pilot (the guy's almost 3 meters tall). Having abandoned the disk idea entirely, I'd just like to see a ship somewhat reminiscent of the YT-series of transports, in an ancient predecessor way.

It sports a ventral and dorsal quad laser turret and two side mounted twin turbolaser turrets, as well as two forward facing concussion missile tubes, and I imagine it being 20 meters or under in length and width. No escape pod or docking rings as such, and the entrance ramp is directly below the cockpit, essentially leading up to the rear of the cockpit. Also, I visualize it having rather beefy engines, two or three of them.

Anyway, I know I haven't given the best details, but that's about what I can come up with. Despite being old, it's rather well maintained, but has long since lost most of its paint, revealing the battered gray hull.

Acheron

I would be interested in seeing this. I wonder why no one else has left a comment already.

Vagrant Lustoid

I've slightly redesigned the thing, and I have a basic outline and shape for it, but no actual good external image. The original request still applies, but here's a basic image for it:
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r224/Vagrant_Lustoid/StatAnomaly.jpg

That outlines the basic idea of how it works. The cockpit should have a glass forward screen, sort of a hybrid between a starfighter's canopy and a YT's bubble windshield. However, the entrance to the cockpit is from inside the shit, so the canopy doesn't open. The same weapon setup still applies, and for colour I think I'd like it to be predominantly white, with blue as the supporting colour. However, due to its age I imagine it'd have plenty of battle scars and flaking paint. I hope this makes the request a little easier and more enticing for someone to pick up.

Xanamiar

Well.. I've noticed that there aren't a LOT of artists to pick up ships.. and one of the best just excepted a challenge.. and will more than likely be working on it for a while... When it comes to tech requests... patience is about the only thing that will get it done.

Vagrant Lustoid

Please consider this request cancelled, as I have some other requests to post soon I suspect, and this one's not so important any longer.

Vagrant

crazyjayloc2003

well even though the request is retracted, i may just go ahead and build this as a 3d model. i like the idea, and i remember creating a back story about a ghtroc freighter with just that kind of cockpit, the problem was the manufacturers made the escape pod button too close to the emergency thrust, so pilots on the run didnt get far many times LOL!!!

but that was a different ship

this one looks promising, im going to give it a shot!

crazyjayloc2003

hey vagrant...heres the stat anomaly, i just finished it in 3ds max and photoshop. i usually model game ships, but i thought this was a good challenge. i enjoyed the design of it. it reminded me of the L-wing from KOTOR a little, but still has that falconesque profile from the side.

i like the barbed tail section also. it was a good design to build.

even though i wanted to i could not figure out how to get torpedos to launch in the render. i may try that again later, but for now heres the

STAT ANOMALY :)

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t160/crazyjayloc2003/hidden/stat_ano…

Vagrant Lustoid

Dude, that's awesome, and even better, it's a total surprise because I cancelled the request like 7 months ago. Which makes this a double treat!

I love the paintwork and the overall look, and I especially love that you even included the panel details where the modular units fit in around the cockpit. Thanks a bunch man.

crazyjayloc2003

youre welcome! it was a lot of fun to create.

EDIT: if you like i can post an updated copy of the scene and post a head on angle shot as well.

i was also thinking of trying my hand at making a map of the interior and rendering that as well. it would not take much and it may be interesting to see the results even for me. it would be three dimentional from the top, and it could show some interesting features that are normally only left to the imagination!

what do you think?

Vagrant Lustoid

That sounds really awesome. I do have some very minor notes though. I wouldn't normally mention them, but if you're planning on updating it anyway, I figure I may as well. There are only the two visible engines, no third on in the middle prong of the engine covers, rather, that's the hyperdrive engine/motivator/whatever it is. And the guns on the sides look like more quad lasers, rather than the more beefy light turbolasers I originally intended. But those are incredibly minor, and I certainly don't care that much.

I actually have a deckplan of a regular YT-450a lying around somewhere that I drew up. Not the Anomaly, because that has barely any space at all in it, it's been so heavily modified. This here is the stock YT-450a as I originally conceived of it:
http://images.wikia.com/swfanon/images/3/37/KG-220P_Modular_Courier_001…

Note that the Anomaly doesn't sport those arms, because as my first image shows, there are six modular holds that have been fitted in to the arms, a specific design trait of the YT-450a. However, I'm considering scrapping the idea, and leave the ship as integrally what the Anomaly looks like, in order to give it that sort of proto-circular look that would become an actual disc in later YT ships. If so, you and I are going to need to re-evaluate the deckplan, as permanently having those in the ship would probably change the deckplan.

I may outright post the profile for the Anomaly if I can find it, so you have a better idea of internals.

crazyjayloc2003

sure that would help a lot

i found this on the internet, and it totally re-imagines the yt-450a, i have an idea in mind about what they are describing, because many people draw what is subject to their interpretation, but i think i know from the description what the stock 450a is supposed to look like, which makes your design a very heavily modified model. thats not unusual though because it is an old freighter and it would not surprise me if it looks nothing like the original stock version, but here is the description, and i will show what i think the stock model is supposed to look like later.

http://s9.invisionfree.com/Tales_of_the_Galaxy/ar/t259.htm

but 3 key phrases are "saucer shape" "modular ports on either side" and "cramped cockpit on top, a predecessor to the yt-1300 cockpit"

that means it would look roughly like the 1300 with the cockpit on top and the normal docking clamps on either side that could be converted to gun pods or used for escape pods... but it would be a lot smaller.

so of course for it to fit your character it would have to be modified to look as it does in your schematic.

Vagrant Lustoid

Lulz. I wrote that profile up, and that description, if you read my initial post, is how I originally wanted the Anomaly to look like, but had to change it because I decided a 3 meter droid pilot wouldn't really be able to get through the crawlways and stuff. I love the concept of the YT-450a, and I've made many different versions of it.

So I'm not really overly fussed about it, I guess. Anything you can do and want to do is a gift to me, so I'm happy to let you take it as you want to.

crazyjayloc2003

oh no, its ok to get a little fussy, after all the 3 meter droid does have to fit in the cockpit, i just thought it would be interesting to see the original and how much modification it took to bring the anomaly to its new form and all. and i found the original john paul lona art he drew of the 450a. he is credited as designing the original yt-450a for west end games. so its cool to try to bring that model into a more detailed light as well. i think it would be pretty cool to do both. maybe even clear up some misconceptions i have seen in other 450a concepts. and even if its not really part of the project, it may inspire others to have their own modified 450a as well. or even a vanilla one!

btw, i couldnt help but notice the other drawing was from a kuat ship. was that a misprint?

Vagrant Lustoid

Not exactly. I later ended up using the design I had for my second iteration of the YT-450a as an entirely different ship in a different RPG that was set in a timeframe just after Return of the Jedi. That's all. I liked the overall deck layout, so I simply reused it.

I remain suspicious of the YT-450a image that is supposedly designed by John Paul Lona. For one, the stats that are provided on any site I can find are fabricated, and all stem from the one post made on a Star Wars RPG site. The picture also seems to stem from there, and I can find no other evidence of it actually being the YT-450a. Wookieepedia removed the image as it appeared to be unsourced, and nobody on Wookieepedia seem to know exactly where in the Gamemaster's Handbook that image came from, especially since I find it strange that they'd illustrate a ship that is mentioned in just one line, and that next to nothing is known about.

crazyjayloc2003

well that may be true, but he is credited with the design of the ship, so i think it is assumed that that illustration just goes with the description. anyway, it doesnt really matter in this case, i was just curious about it, and wanted to take that image and the description and merge them into something that really fits a small yt freighter with crawlspaces. thats a different project all together. but it has fueled my interest a little.

so with that said we should get back to the original plan, the refinement of the anomaly.

well it took a while to get back to it, i know, but here is the updated version with light turbos and the laser bolts to reflect the turbo appearance.

and as i was looking at the deckplans from the post you had here earlier, i thought that unless this 3 meter robot has freinds that work with him, there may not be a need to have any of the things a human would require, like a refresher station or a hygene combine. instead i thought it would be cool to have a lubrication bath and a recharger station instead. and it would also be cool to have some sort of library or supercomputer aboard that assimilates all information from each system the droid encounters so he can learn things he doesnt have time to observe himself. that and any other suggestions you may have before i start on the deck would be great to comment on. so what do you think?

also im going to build the deck interior in 3 dimensions, but it will only be viewable from the top. this is a technique i learned to use so i can make maps of some of the interiors im building for one of the mods im working on right now, so it turns out very nice. this may even spawn new requests for similar deckplans or interior maps.

Vagrant Lustoid

Awesome, it looks pretty sweet. I like the front view. As for the droid not requiring things that organics would, I'll find the profile for the Anomaly, since from the very beginning of my profile development for it I've had THX-1138 remove all life supports/comfort things for more hardware. He'd have a couple of smaller maintenance droids that can get about into areas he can't to repair things, and they'd be interlinked to him so he can control them completely. Here's the bio as it currently is, pending changes based on the art style. As you can see, it means that deckplans are going to have very little living space, so much so that once THX-1138 is jacked into the cockpit console he doesn't have to move from his position to control anything on the ship, and as such pretty much the whole ship could be sealed off from the cockpit. Oh yeah, and the cockpit is able to eject and function as a lifepod in dire emergencies. But he removed the life systems of course.

Manufacturer: Corellian Engineering Corporation
Designation: YT-450a Statistical Anomaly
Classification: Heavy Assault Starfighter
Hull Size: Starfighter
Length: 16 meters
Crew: 1 Pilot
Cargo: 100 kilograms
Life Support: Nil
Hyperdrive: Class 0.8
Atmospheric Speed: 900 kph
Sublight Acceleration: 100 MGLT
Armor: Moderate
Shields: Heavy
Equipment: 2 Light Turbolasers, 2 Quad Heavy Laser Cannons, Advanced Sensory Suite, 1 Concussion Missile Launcher (6 Missiles), 1 Proton Torpedo Launcher (4 torpedoes), 2 Retractable Anti-Personnel Autoblasters

When THX-1138 was gifted to Malekis over seven hundred years ago, he was paired with one of Malekis’ newest ships, a gleaming new YT-450a. Though it was a cargo ship, Malekis figured that the droid would be able to make something of it. Over the next seven hundred years, the YT-450a would constantly be undergoing retuning, upgrading and modification until by today it can no longer be classified as a cargo ship in any way, having almost no cargo room.

THX-1138 used the ship to infiltrate a rival smuggling ring that had been closing in on Malekis’ jobs. To this end, he mounted two standard laser turrets into the modular ports of the 450a, to better defend the ship. THX-1138 managed to get in and destroy the ring, but on the way out, the YT-450a, christened Statistical Anomaly by him, was almost shot down by the pursuing remnants of the smuggling ring. Learning from this experience, THX-1138 installed small civilian shield generators in the cargo hold, taking up a chunk of the space. However, when THX-1138 arrived back at Malekis’ palace, he then went to perform a full spectrum diagnostic on the Statistical Anomaly.

From this diagnostic, THX-1138 was able to determine the absolute stress limit of the Anomaly, the point of optimal performance. This optimum level was far in excess of what the safety levels were, and beyond what any being could juice out of it with the standard setup. So THX-1138 completely rewired his ship to respond faster and more efficiently and added a large number of programs that would push the Statistical Anomaly far beyond its average performance without even installing any new systems or equipment.

The next change to come about was the change from dual laser cannons to the much more powerful twin dual heavy laser cannons, though these were fixed facing in a forward position. At the same time, THX-1138 modified the ship for smuggling, installing shielded cargo compartments and a device that would display a false alias for the craft when data was requested.

This configuration was kept for a few hundred years, with only minor tweaks and upgrades, until THX-1138 came to a logical conclusion. He was a droid. Datum: Droids did not require the life support systems that organic species did. Inference: The life support was therefore taking up space that could be utilized for other means. Conclusion: Remove the life support. This is exactly what THX-1138 did, completely taking out the systems. He also completely gutted the small living section behind the cockpit, removing the bunks, refresher unit, galley and the like. THX-1138 turned this section into an armoury that would house his various weapons and equipment needs.

A few decades later, THX-1138 redesigned the cockpit to be more secure, removing all the physical controls except for the most basic ones. In their stead he installed a new main chair that possessed a main command computer interface port that he could jack himself into. This meant that he was directly connected to the computer systems of the Statistical Anomaly and was able to control the ship with greater precision, faster reaction times and overall better stability. He left a set of redundant controls that could be operated with standard manipulator appendages in case of a statistically anomalous incident, but has never had to use them so far.

About BBY 350, THX-1138 scoured Malekis’ various technological storehouses for new equipment, and came away with two new Rothana Heavy Engineering hyperdrive motivators and heavy-duty hyperspace drives. These were installed in place of the standard hyperspace drives and tweaked to a Class 1 level, which at the time was a near-unheard of speed. He also came away from the storehouses with some Kuati starfighter shields, which he replaced the old shields with. He also programmed a complex power projection program to specifically strengthen certain parts of the shield on his command.

Soon enough. THX-1138 installed a remote beacon system that allowed him to control the Statistical Anomaly using a hyperwave condenser antennae installed within his chest. To fit with this idea, he installed two new anti-personnel blasters in armoured compartments on the underside of the ship, which could both turn 360 degrees to eliminate enemies before he disembarked. This addition proved useful a decade later, when he used them and the remote system to eliminate the guard around his ship and caused enough of a distraction with it to allow himself to escape.

By now it was clear that THX-1138 was not going to be using the Statistical Anomaly for smuggling or even legitimate hauling missions, so the remaining thirty or so metric tons of cargo space were being wasted, as were the shielded compartments. So THX replaced much of this space with two projectile launchers and an advanced sensory suite that could pick up incredibly minute details. The two projectile launchers were a concussion missile launcher and a proton torpedo launcher, fitted towards the front.

Another big overhaul came when THX installed a modern power generator and new heavy-duty Novaldex shield generators into the Statistical Anomaly, and even upgraded the ion strip drive and hyperdrive to their current levels. This was roughly a hundred years ago, with one more big change to bring the Statistical Anomaly to its current state of being. Finally, roughly forty years ago, during the Naboo Blockade crisis, THX-1138 acquired some of the compact light turbolasers recently developed by Sienar Industrial Engineering and installed these babies in place of the heavy laser turrets. They have a relatively slow fire recycle rate, but can blow apart starfighters in a single blast. Combined with THX-1138’s deadly advanced targeting programming, these turbolasers make a deadly weapon when one or two ships are on your back. But what about when there are a whole bunch? THX found that he’d often get chased by planetary patrol squadrons of twelve or upwards, and keeping this in mind he transformed the armoury into a gunner station, closing it off and installing all the equipment needed to install the dorsal quad heavy laser turret. The second turret was installed ventrally, and the power generators for the turbolasers and the new ventrally aligned turret consumed most of the space that was left.

So now the Statistical Anomaly is just that, a ship pushed so far beyond its standard limits that there isn’t likely to be another ship quite like it ever again. The Statistical Anomaly is stripped of most of its paint, so only THX-1138 and Malekis remember what colour it originally was. Still, it is a feared ship, and when you see this craft nearing your planet of residence, if you’ve had dealings with Malekis at some point during the crime lord’s career, you should run. As far and fast as possible.

crazyjayloc2003

very nice description, i may yet just update the firing pic one more time to reflect the other launcher instead of two torp launchers. (if you didnt notice the torp is modeled after the real SW torpedoes)LOL

anyway i think that is all the info i need to make a really nice deckplan for the ship. and im very impressed. i will try to do THX-1138 the justice he deserves. (nice homage to the film) also if i make a landed version of the ship, which i may, i was curious what type of landing gear this would have? would it be like the ebon hawk? or something more like that of a nubian ship? its up to you.

do you have a drawing of the robot? seems to me he may have to duck in order to get in the ship, maybe even be somewhat of an insectoid design.

Vagrant Lustoid

I currently have no design for him, only that he's big and has many weapons both visible and concealed. Since he was once owned by a Sith Apprentice, he's been extensively modified through mechu-deru and Sith Alchemy. I imagined him probably looking somewhat like a cross between IG-88, General Grevious and a Xim War Robot, so he was always supposed to be bipedal, but with multiple arms.

As for landing gear, I'm really not fussed by what it looks like, long as it looks functional and durable enough.