Industrial Automation R3 series Starmech droid [Casca1967]

Velovich

I did this droid as the "tramp captain's" astromech. An R2 unit with a tread base instead of the tricycle arrangement. The unit has a voder, so no translator droids needed (thank the Maker!), and has 2 heavy and 2 fine grasper arms - more description to follow.

The idea was that come captains might prefer a tech that they didn't have to pay, could rely on the skills of, and knew wouldn't blab about things like "special" hyperspace routes. Alternatively, the droid could back up a ship's engineer, who usually has to sleep, from time to time.

The R3-series was therefore marketed to the Stock Light Frieghter and Medium Frieghter community at a price comperable to that of an R-2, Cr 5,250, less than a thousand more than an R2 and this one can *talk* to it's skipper.

Instead of Starfighter Piloting, the droid can operate Sensors. Instead of Starfighter Repair, it has a 1D Search skill and 2D each in Droid Programming and Droid Repair. I can email a WORD doc of it's stats, if anyone wants.

I have an image, a front view, I did in Paint, but I can't do anything but front, side, or such images - I can't do orthographic views, nor can I show curves, etc, with shading.

Details:
Heavy grasper arms are tubular to conceal and protect the actuators/wiring/etc. They extend the best part of a meter and a half (longer than the droid is tall).

Fine arms can easily be skeltal with slim actuators and flush wiring showing. These are for working on something in situ. Firuge the hands to be five fingered with some flip-into-place from the wrist area drivers, drills, lights, etc. One arm has a small welder.

There is a single tentacle w/ a camera/light combo for looking inside cluttered access areas on a ship.

Generally, the droid looks like an R2 dropped onto a tread chassis. On an R2, where the body slopes in to the center leg well is the point it connects with the chassis. The treads are wide, to handle "Frontier Landing Fields" the ship might have to set down on, and each track show can be magetized for low or micro G situations, allowing the droid to operated on the hull while the ship is drifting in space.

The R3's computer interface is a cord that a fine arm would plug into a socket and hold in place.

The tracked chassis incorperates a tool box and has two "tool box" mounts - recessed points in front of and behind the upper body where things can be secured to carry to a job. (These are not shown in the image I have.)

I hope someone can do this image for me. I would prefer something like realistic graphic novel or line drawings, no magna, please.

V-Man

dredwulf60

Quite specific. Some appreciate this aspect, others not so much. I'm sure this one will get picked up by a technophile. If not, then there is a good chance I'd take a go at it...if it's still around when I finally get the time for it.

Velovich

DW60,

Thanks for your comments, I am new to this place. I really mean this - I know that artists like to interpret, but I don't know how to strike that balance yet.

How the droid is represented isn't important, I included the info so the artist would have choices. I can see an image of the droid in action, working on a blown component, or more of a "portrait". Other depictions are possible, just beyond my limited 'view', as it were. There are reasons I'm no artist! :-)

BTW, anyone reading this that is an artist, you guys (& gals & droids & aliens) *all* rock. Some of you should be getting *paid* to do what you do. I'm not a magna fan, but I know it enough to know those of you that do magna are part of that group. There are some really gifted people here.

V-Man
"All I need is more ammo, a little water, and some chips if you got them."

McRage

Isnt the R3 allready a canon model of droids very similar to the R2 units? There are allready models ranging from R1 to R9. Its your game and all that, but still... might consider calling it something else... or perhaps this perticular droid will be a heavy modified variant and thus quite unique... or maybe there is a subsidary company that is making this variant from one of Industral Automations top sellers...

Velovich

McRage,

Of course, you are right. I'm thinking of calling it an R2T-XX model. An R2 with Tread accessory. When I developed the type, I didn't have the original droids books and didn't know of all the types.

V-man

Casca1967

Ok, like a fine wine, it's better with age right? I want this and have a scetch. Mercy will need help on the older ones. Judging from the age....The pic will be acompanied with " remember that droid that blew up 6 mos. ago...he looked like this..."

Velovich

Cool! Thanks for picking it up, Casca!!

V-Man

Xanamiar

Hey V-man... he was asking if this was linked correctly, because you haven't given any input on the design... what do you think of the design of the unit... he can't go any further til you say something :)

Casca1967

Sorry V but you are going to get the (maybe) honor of the first pic done with a light pen. I have NO idea what I am doing.......I love this. This is when it's still fun.