DISNEY ACQUIRES LUCASFILM - EPISODE VII IS COMING IN 2015!

Asok

This is the craziest news I have ever heard!

Disney has BOUGHT Lucasfilm with the full intention of producing more Star Wars films! Episode VII is slated for release in three years! WHAT!

MORE Star Wars? VII-VIII-IX?? IS IT REAL???

Seghast

I can't decide if this is good news or bad news yet. =/

Much as I love the original trilogy, the prequels were a letdown for me and the "special editions" were an abomination, leaving me questioning George's ability to tell a good story anymore. Indy 4 only made those doubts run deeper.

I was initially very skeptical of Disney purchasing Marvel comics, but so far that has turned out exceptionally well; Avengers was, to me, the defining comic movie us geeks have been waiting on. If Disney can handle all the Marvel properties like Iron Man, Cap, Thor, and Avengers so well, maybe there's hope that they can revitalize Star Wars and make it epic once again.

We'll know for sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing when VII hits the screens but for right now, I just wonder what the story is going to be.
________
Links removed because the spam filter apparently doesn't like me, but I shall have vengeance. And maybe beer. Beer and vengeance.

Xanamiar

Considering they are keeping George in on it as a consultant... I have high hopes for it.

I never cared what George did with his movies, they were his to do it with. But hopefully Disney will give us the Prequel action, with the original's awesomeness.

Asok

Seghast - spot on. That is exactly how I feel.

Plus, if they give us ten crappy movies, and one good one, I think it will have been worth it. Because that's one more good Star Wars movie than we would have had otherwise.

Hopefully they learned a lesson from John Carter...

Boshuda

Anarchangel

I have to wonder if they might take some of the ideas they had planned for the live action tv show that was rumoured to be in the making.

The last I heard of that it was on hold but most likely canceled. I distinctly remember George saying he was aiming for the tv show to have a somewhat more mature theme kind of like the atmosphere of Battlestar Galactica. Personally I think this might be a good thing and the Vong war would certainly be a good setting for that.

But would Disney, of all people, let that happen?

Seghast

I doubt it would be the Vong war. With the change in leadership, I wouldn't be surprised if they either discard all of the existing EU or go through and discard some of the more undesirable pieces (I'm hoping for the latter personally). I don't think many fans were happy with how the Vong and the NJO were handled, so that would likely be some of the material that would be ignored.
________
Links removed because the spam filter apparently doesn't like me, but I shall have vengeance. And maybe beer. Beer and vengeance.

Hisham

It'd probably be post-Vong, post-Swarm War with hardly a mention of what came before other than the first six movies. That way Mark Hamill and gang would still be able to act their age, continue the Skywalker family story, and the novels and comics since would still be safely intact.

I know when people think Disney they think of Haunted Mansion starring Eddie Murphy, or flipping Flubber.

But consider this:

Disney --> Lucasfilm --> Star Wars / Indiana Jones

just as

Disney --> Marvel Studios --> The Avengers, Iron Man 3, Thor: Dark World, Captain America: Winter Soldier

just as

Disney --> Miramax Studios --> The Crow, Pulp Fiction, From Dusk Til Dawn, Kill Bill.

Xanamiar

I think when Lucas started writing Episodes VII VII and IX he pulled all of his licenses on the EU and said that none of it happened. He has his own idea for what's going to happen. So my guess is, that it's going to be all new stuff.

Seghast

Whatever ideas Lucas had are irrelevant now, though; he's not in charge anymore. Granted, Disney said he will be a creative consultant, but I don't think that means he will be writing the script/story for the new movies. I don't expect them to really make movies based around the EU (much as I'd like to see Thrawn done right), but Disney might at least acknowledge some of the more-popular pieces of EU.
________

Anarchangel

So long as its not the Legacy era, I don't really care. I always hated that era for some reason. Cade Skywalker gets on my nerves.

Casca1967

If they are smart, they are trolling different fan sites as we speak looking for what the huge fan base they just acquired wants.

Tusserk

I'm well aware that this could go either way, but I choose to be excited.

Being excited is way more fun!

Asok

Tuss: Precisely!

I know Drig has been yearning for a KOTOR movie for some time, and even had the prescience to predict episodes VII-VIII-IX when we were kids. Seeing as how he was right about that, I'm sort of waiting for him to be right about KOTOR. And various other things.

Boshuda

UnnaturalGas

Slowpoke.jpeg

I've been avoiding facing this news for some time now. Truth be told, I haven't felt butterflies like this since Afghanistan, and I feel a bit ashamed to say that. At any rate, I don't know what to expect with this whole thing; it feels like an unholy union. With licensing and exclusivity as they are in hollywood, I can't see this going any other direction but to stifle other 'small' media companies. Not to get on a soapbox or go all zeitgeist about it, but I'm concerned about free speech/internet and whatnot, to say the least.

But I digress; I'm happy there will be a new canon; I can just throw out all I remember from the 100+EU books I've read. /sarcasm.

Casca1967

I guess my bigest worry would be Disney's ability to put something in your face until you can no longer stand the sight of it. I love Star Wars, don't get me wrong but this is going to be a barrage of epic proportions....the Disney Characters dress up in Star Wars garb is a tell tale sign....ewww.

Asok

The oversaturation is a very real thing to be afraid of. But realistically, that's been strong with Star Wars for a loooong time. Especially with the prequels.

Boshuda

Asok

Thought I'd add this bit of good news - Lucas is donating the majority of the $4 billion to an educational charity.

Boshuda

dredwulf60

Personally, I have always despised anything EU that took place after RotJ. (ESPECIALLY the VONG) So...whatever they've got, bring it on...

Casca1967

I also am no Vong fan...read the wiki...meh. But a good Thrawn story...with no Clone Emperor would get me. Karl Urban would do nicely.

UnnaturalGas

I haven't seen anything indicating if the film(s) will be live-action or animated. Please by the many arms of Ganesh let it be at least live-action. I also have not seen anything indicating what characters will appear or by whom they will be played. Again by my various gods don't let Ashton Kutcher anywhere near it.

Mercy

I heard that too, Casca - and much as I'd love to see the Thrawn saga on the screen, I think we're gonna get new material. Which is not such a bad thing, so long as they don't stuff up the existing story lines. Only way I can see that happening is to not use existing characters/actors.
The droids will appear, though. They will. Count on it.

Casca1967

Knowing that there is always a comic relief character( or characters) and now with the involvement of Disney, any Ideas on what you think we might get? Do you think we will get aliens sneaking in the background that look like Disney Characters? Like Beauty and the beast walking by in the background on a space dock or something. And what races do you think Disney characters are?

Tusserk

I would get such a kick out of seeing the Beast casually strolling by in the background.

Mercy

Ugh! The pollution of my childhood continues!
I'll never forgive Disney for what they did to Winnie-the-Pooh...

Anarchangel

I'm sorry but I was just struck by an image of Winnie-the-Pooh as Darth Vader which I thought was pretty damn hilarious.

Asok

Casca - that made my day. Rabbit as a grouchy Han Solo, Owl as Obi Wan, who else?

Boshuda

Seghast

Eeyore as Yoda.
________

Asok

Also in the news, they've selected Michael Arndt (screenwriter of Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3) to write the screenplay for the upcoming Star Wars film.

Boshuda

Trisskar

And they are also bringing in the original cast. No offense to our old time hero's but...the years have not been good to them. Old or not. Luke Skywalker was in much better shape than the actor now >_< "Here, I train hard every day and save the galaxy twice every day and I look like I've been sitting on my sofa all my life...." :-/

Asok

Maybe Master Skywalker has been sitting around meditating all these years?

Boshuda

Casca1967

Leia the Hutt. No more slave girl...though saw her recently and she was looking much better. I should talk. I am a bit worse for wear for the time of those movies as well.